Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Good Plate of Food, Man’s Best Friend…


I have found that I have a passion for making great food and for me that means grilling and smoking meats of all kinds. It seems that I am most happy doing this, spending my weekends (in all types of weather) cooking and then enjoying the pleasure it gives others when they take that first bite! I have to say that the person I love to please the most with my cooking is my daughter Alisha who just loves to try new stuff off of the grill as long as I don’t make it too hot!!! I remember a certain Super Sunday when I did some wings for the game and I tried to be slick using white pepper so it might pass unnoticed…..  Didn’t work, after about 2 ½ wings Alisha wanted to kill me as she ran for the milk in the fridge. Well as I was laughing and having a good time with her pain I myself proceeded to eat a few of these wings and damn if it did not get me too!!! Needless to say those wings were tossed and we opted out for hamburgers that day but we had fun anyway and it was indeed a day we both remember well.

So, now over the years I have created many recipes for those Hot Wings and I am posting the best of the best here for you to enjoy so have at it and I believe you will ask for more!!!!

I have many other recipes I am will to share so if you are interested you can email me at: bkarabinus52@hotmail.com and I will help you out best as I can. I have recipes for Ribs, Roasts, Burgers, Tri-Tip, Smoker Beans, Appetizers, etc…. So ask I shall give you what you wish. These are of course free for now until I finish my cookbook and then it will cost ya… so now is the time and you can be ready for the spring to please family and friends.

Remember, it does not get any better than a nice sunny day with good food, cold beer and a backyard filled with family and friends laughing and having a great time. The pats on the back you receive will be a great ego booster for you as well so come on, Jump on in and have a blast!!!!!
                                                                                                                                                                                    Bill K. Winter 2012



SPICY CHICKEN WINGS

One large package of chicken wings, the bigger the wings the better!!!

2/3 cup Bill’s Sweet & Spicy Rub  (recipe at bottom of page)

One cup Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce

Half pound butter or margarine

One cup Masterpiece BBQ Sauce & one cup Cattleman’s BBQ Sauce mixed together in medium sized bowl.

One Tablespoon Black Pepper

One Tablespoon Hot Sauce (I use Frankie’s)


Preparation:

Scrub and rinse kitchen sink.

Place wings in sink and wash w/cold water, let drain.

Place stopper in sink

Melt ½ pound of butter in microwave

Mix Butter, Teriyaki Sauce Black Pepper and Hot Sauce together well and pour over wings.

Sift Rub over wings and mix/rub into wings well so that all sides of wings are covered.

Move wings to gallon bags and place in refrigerator for 2-4 hours to infuse flavor
____________________________________________

Smoker Method:

Pre-Heat Smoker using Apple and Mesquite (My Choice, you can use whatever you like).
Lower heat to 275*

Pan up your wings and place in smoker for approx. 2 plus hours until 2/3 cooked.

Baste wings with juice in pan and remove to smoker racks for direct smoking.

Smoke for approx... one more hour with heat lowered to 250*

Coat wings with BBQ Sauce mixture and cook for approx... one more hour using an apple juice spray at the 30 minute Mark to add moisture.

Make sure you turn wings over during this direct cooking time to brown on both sides.

Remove to large platter and let rest for about 15-20 minutes.

Dig in and enjoy these Bad Boys with an ice cold bottle of Negro Modelo some BBQ Beans, Potato Salad and Chips.

Great for the game or any type of get together or simply a family dinner if you wish to spoil the loved ones!!!

___________________________________________________

Oven and grill Method
Pre-Heat oven to 225*

Pan up wings and place in oven for approx... one hour or until 2/3 done.
Make sure you baste with pan drippings at the 30 minute mark to retain moisture.

Fire up the grill with enough cooking space to accommodate all your wings.
I prefer a charcoal grill but you use whatever is more comfortable to you.

Place on grill skin side up and coo for approx... 15-20 minutes, spray one time with apple juice to retain moisture.

Flip wings and cook for another 10 minutes, spray again for this side.

Flip wings again so skin side is up and brush baste with BBQ Sauce making sure they are well coated.

Cook approx... 10-12 minutes until sauce begins to glaze.

Flip wings and apply BBQ sauce to underside.

Cook this way for about 10 minute and flip again.

Coat wings with remainder of sauce and remove to platter.

Let rest for 15 minutes.

Great for the game or any type of get together or simply a family dinner if you wish to spoil the loved ones!!!
  
I encourage you to play around with this recipe to make it yours. It’s a lot of fun and it never comes out wrong unless you get too carried with the Hot Sauce. I suggest putting out the bottle of Hot Sauce with the meal so everyone can adjust to their personal taste…

ENJOY!
                                        -- Bill Karabinus, 2012



Bill’s Sweet & Spicy Rub

1 cup salt
1 Cup Golden Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
2 Tablespoons Paprika
2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons Black Pepper
2 Teaspoons Red Pepper
1 Tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes (pizza style)
1 Tablespoon Dried Thyme
1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin

Place mixture in a medium sized bowl and mix with fork until lumps are gone and mixture is evenly mixed. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready for use.


4 comments:

  1. I was just thinking that if you get one of those brown padded envelopes from the stationary store and fill it up with some of those wings, and send it westward, I just bet it wouldn't be too soggy if you mailed it overnight. As I sit here with my bagel and coffee, I'm remembering just how much I like the type of wings you've described...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know who is worse, you or my daughter. She wants me to get some dry ice and pack a finished Tri-Tip in it and send it to Indiana...... She did want the wings as well so that is why I included my old oven directions along with it. So, now you have a way to indulge yourself!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I do believe that the post office has a special Tri-Tip rate. "If it fits, it ships." I would walk a mile for some good smoked Tri-Tip. Alisha does have a good idea but it appears that she got the destination wrong for some of that Heaven from a cow. What is this Indiana nonsense when a Nevada mailbox on Hawksdale Drive is where it needs to end up? There will be some cole slaw as well, correct? It's a simple case of logistics, really. If you get to the post office today, I COULD be eating it for Sunday dinner. See how that works?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok but all I can afford is a really small box so it would be "Trimmed Tri-Tip" for you guys...

    ReplyDelete