Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Guest Post by David Tackett, My First Trip To Chemo!


My first trip to the chemo room…The day has finally gotten here.  If you are like me, I woke up at 2:30am, nervious, scared, but feeling strong .  I had been given steriods to take at bedtime and more to take when I got up.

I was told the first treatment would take 4 to 4 ½ hours to complete.  The 2nd treatment may take less time because they can drip it in at a faster rate. 

During the first hour of the first treatment there will be several medical workers or nurses keeping an eye on you to see if you are going to have an allergic reation.

I asked, “If I do have an allergic reaction, then what happens?  Is there a different form of treatment that we go to?” 

The nurse said, “No, this chemo is going in you.  We may have to slow it down but reaction or not, the chemo will be in you before you leave the chair.” 

I said,”Hmm, what kind of a reaction are you looking for?”

The nurse said, “Your face will turn red and you will get short of breath.”  I said, “That’s not good because I get red faced and short of breath at least once a day even without chemo!”

I didn’t have a reaction so I can’t help you there but I can tell you that on my first trip in, I had an I-Pod, lap top, books, bottled water, snacks, cell phone, a movie to watch on my I-Pod, a pillow, and blanket.

For those of you that have raised children, it looked like I was heading off to summer camp, the back seat of the car was full!

By the time I got to the infusion room at the hospital, I had narrowed down my supplies to a notebook and pen, I-Pod, book, and bottle water. I put these items in my backpack and away I went.


David is wonderful friend and supporter of The Living Through Faith Foundation and you can find David hard at work for you at Farmers Insurance in Hot Springs, AR.

Bill K.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you again David your posts are a great help for me and an insiration to many!!!

    Keep them coming!!!

    ReplyDelete